Dr. Charlie Staples, from the University of Florida, spent a significant portion of his life’s work focused on better understanding the essential fatty acids and how they work in the dairy cow. His legacy lives on with this course on Fatty Acid Forum.
In this course, you will learn the following:
- Which fatty acids are essential to be fed in the dairy cow’s diet
- How these essential fatty acids are affected in the rumen and what factors can improve delivery to the small intestine
- How essential fatty acids are stored in bovine tissues and the impact they have on cell membrane function and fluidity
- What role essential fatty acids have in mediating immune responses and how target feeding omega-6’s and omega-3’s can improve transition and reproductive performance
- Understanding if cows are deficient in essential fatty acids, what the positive benefits are from ensuring the cows’ needs are met with these important nutrients.